Happy Holidays! Sometimes, as happy and joyful as they are, the holidays can put us in a rush to get things done. And that busy schedule can cause us to neglect our health and upkeep which can make an appearance on your skin – just when you least want it to.
So this Christmas Eve, I’m sharing my easy, quick and entirely natural recipe for a soothing facial scrub using sugar and peppermint oil extract.
This scrub is strong enough to brighten your complexion. But it’s gentle enough to use on dry winter skin… Sugar benefits your skin in three ways:
- First, sugar is a natural humectant. That means it draws moisture from the air into your skin. This hydrates and moisturizes your skin naturally.
- Sugar is also a good source of glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid that gets deep down into your skin. This encourages quick cell turnover for fresher, younger-looking skin.
- It’s strong, but gentle. Compared to commercial products or salt scrubs, sugar granules are a gentler exfoliant. They remove the dirt and dead skin cells that dull your complexion without stripping your skin of oil or creating tiny tears.
And peppermint oil not only has a great Christmas scent, it contains natural antibacterial properties that can prevent breakouts brought on by stress. It also provides a cooling effect that soothes irritation and inflammation.
Easy Peppermint Sugar Scrub
|Sugar and peppermint oil provide many skin benefits
- ¾ cup white sugar (don’t use raw sugar)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (you can use olive or almond oil instead)
- 10 drops natural peppermint essential oil
- Mix the sugar and coconut oil in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the peppermint oil and stir.
For best results, wet your skin before using. Don’t use more than twice a week.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS