Splash Probiotic Cleanser
The World’s 1st Probiotic Facial Cleanser!
Restore Your Skin’s “Eco-Shield” For Your Healthiest, Most Youthful Looking Skin, Ever.
Your eco-shield is a very thin, nearly invisible film on the surface of your skin.
It’s designed to keep the good stuff in (like moisture) — while keeping all the bad stuff out (like bad bacteria, viruses, and pollution).
Your eco-shield is actually made of stuff that we used to consider dirty…
- Skin oils
- Lactic acids and amino acids from sweat
- Even skin-friendly microorganisms that live on the surface of your skin!
For years we thought that we needed to remove all of that “dirty” stuff — but this eco-shield is a necessary part of our skin’s built-in anti-aging mechanisms.
It’s your skin’s own microbiome — just like the one found in your gut — and it contains a harmonious blend of good and bad bacteria that keep your skin balanced and looking young.
Most women have damaged their skin’s delicate eco-shield with multi-ingredient skincare routines made from harsh (and often toxic) chemicals.
Splash II probiotic facial wash is formulated to restore your skin’s eco-shield and unleash your skin’s natural rejuvenating abilities!
It’s made with the proven probiotic bifidobacterium longum which is associated with a wide-range of beneficial health effects.
We then use enzymes to break bifidobacterium longum down into an all-natural, bio-active elixir bursting with dozens of…
- amino acids
- nucleic acids
…called Bifida Ferment Lysate that has been shown to nourish dull, lifeless skin back to health!
All of this is done at low temperatures so the resulting nutrients are 100% raw and ready for absorption by hungry skin cells.
Here are just some of the ways your skin can look so much better when it is treated to Bifida Ferment Lysate therapy on a regular basis…
- DNA damage from the sun reduced by 50%
- Harmful enzymes that break down skin structure inhibited by 34%
- Skin elasticity improved by 30%
- Skin sensitivity reduced by 50%
- Skin barrier strengthened by 25%
Splash II probiotic facial cleanser combines Bifida Ferment Lysate with 3 more skin-strengthening superstars from the plant kingdom to restore the bright, glowy complexion you enjoyed in your youth.
»BEST DEAL! FREE Shipping and VIP Service!
Order 3 bottles of Splash Probiotic Cleanser for just $134.88, that’s $44.96 per bottle, a savings of 25%. You’ll receive free shipping and handling.
And you’ll also become a member of my exclusive VIP Auto Delivery Program.
You’ll receive free shipping and handling for as long as you use Splash Probiotic Cleanser. And for your benefit we’ll ship you three fresh bottles every 3 months. Your credit card will be charged $134.88. You can cancel at least one day before your next shipment to avoid being billed for the next shipment by calling 1-888-795-4005. That way, you’ll never have to worry about running out or reordering.
If you’re not satisfied you can get a prompt refund of every dollar you paid. That way, you risk nothing.
Save 10% when you order 3 bottles of Splash Probiotic Cleanser for a one-time payment of $161.88, that’s $53.96 per bottle, plus shipping and handling. And, if you’re not satisfied you can get a prompt refund of every dollar you paid. That way, you risk nothing.
I’ll receive 1 bottle of Splash Probiotic Cleanser for a one-time payment of only $59.95 plus $8.95 shipping and handling.
Glow Exfoliating Facial Scrub
For Radiant Skin
Unmask your true beauty with Glow, the revolutionary facial treatment that delivers superior skin refinement and antioxidant support – with the crystallized cleansing power of Concha de Nacar. The most effective way to smooth, brighten, and detoxify.
Glow is an exfoliating treatment that increases cellular turnover and makes your skin smoother. Exfoliating is also the best way to deep-clean pores, which appear larger when they’re clogged and/or lax from collagen loss.
Dr. Sears’ All-Natural Skin Exfoliator and Purifier
You can now truly restore natural beauty to your complexion but don’t wait. Every day your cell renewal rate is slowing down. The net effect is that you begin to lose skin cells faster than you produce them. Plus, the new skin cells are thinner, not as strong, and less elastic. They’re “older.”
Fortunately, Mother Nature has provided a way to set things right.
Glow gently wipes away toxins that can accumulate on your skin from the environment. Then it restores your natural protective layer of skin by energizing tired skin cells. In just a few days and with just a few minutes of you can go from a dull, graying color, to a bright radiance that shows off your true, natural beauty.
How is this possible? Part of the secret lies in a strange, vine-like plant found in the tropical rain forests of eastern Peru. The locals that Dr. Sears visited call it the Inca Peanut. And hidden deep inside the seeds of this plant is a rare combination of these skin-revitalizing nutrients:
- Omega 3
- Omega 6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Essential trace minerals and proteins
Superior Skin Refinement and Antioxidant Support – with the Crystallized Cleansing Power of Pearl Powder
Dr. Sears was told about a beauty secret used by the ancient Incan queens and noble women. They import pearls from the sea and then grind them into super-fine powder called Concha de Nacar. This powder was added to creams and lotions to help give skin a radiant glow.
Today we know there were other benefits to using Concha de Nacar and you don’t have to grind up your heirloom pearls to get it. Concha de Nacar is made up of tiny crystals. These microscopic crystals are the ideal exfoliator.
As you massage Glow onto your skin, the tiny crystals gently break through the film and grime of toxic sludge and carry dead skin cells away.
It has also been discovered that Concha de Nacar stimulates fibroblast cells to grow. These types of cells are key in maintaining strong, healthy, and elastic skin.1,2
With each washing, you’re helping to create strong, youthful skin cells that radiate with life.
Along with the sensational skin-soothing effects of argan oil, and the antioxidant protection powerhouses Noni, Goji Berry, Mangosteen, Jojoba and Rose Hips, you’ll get incredible skin cell rejuvenation,3 increased elasticity,4 and a healthful glow to your complexion. Try Glow with no risk or regrets.
See for yourself the difference that pure, potent, natural Concha de Nacar and the Inca Peanut can make. Try Glow without any risk. You must feel the difference:
- Clear, even, bright tones replace dull, graying colors
- Sagging skin and the appearance of wrinkle lines are replaced with tight, smooth skin
- Thin, fragile skin becomes healthy, strong and vibrant.
- If you don’t get the same benefits, you’ll get you your money back.
1. Lopez E, et al, “Stimulation of rat cutaneous fibroblasts and their synthetic activity by implants of powdered nacre (mother of pearl),” Tissue Cell. 2000;32(1):95-101.
2. Dai J, et al, “Effects of pearl powder extract and its fractions on fibroblast function relevant to wound repair,” Pharm Bio. 2010; 48(2):122-127.
»BEST DEAL! 3.5 oz. Size VIP Auto Delivery Program
Free Shipping Along With Huge Savings!
I’ll save 20% when you order three 3.5 oz. jars of Glow for only $39.98 per jar. Plus, along with your order, you’ll join my VIP Auto Delivery Program where you’ll get FREE SHIPPING and the discounted price per jar for as long as you continue to enjoy Glow.
Here’s how it works: We’ll deliver 3 jars of Glow every 90-days so you never have to worry about running out or reordering. As a member of the VIP Auto Delivery Program, for each shipment (every 90-days), your credit card will be automatically charged $119.95. You can cancel at least one day before your next shipment to avoid being billed for the next shipment by calling 1-888-795-4005. You can update your shipment schedule based on your personal use at any time.
Like ALL Pure Radiance products, Glow, has a full money-back guarantee, so if you’re not completely satisfied you can return the product within 90 days for a full 100% refund.
SAVE 10% when you order 1 jar of Glow for just $44.95 per jar by joining the VIP Auto Delivery Program where you’ll get FREE SHIPPING and the discounted price per jar for as long as you continue to enjoy Glow.
You receive all the other benefits as a member of the VIP Auto Delivery Program.
We will deliver 1 bottle every 30-days so you never have to worry about running out or reordering. Your credit card will be charged $44.95. You can cancel at least one day before your next shipment to avoid being billed for the next shipment by calling 1-888-795-4005.
Please send one 3.5 oz. jar of Glow for just a one-time payment of $49.95 plus Shipping and handling.
Instant Volume and Lift Liposome Technology
For the first time ever, advanced liposome technology gives you the look of dermal fillers without injections. Restore is specifically formulated to help you fill out troublesome wrinkles safely and naturally.
Flawless Skin Without Injections
Introducing advanced liposome technology
Dr. Sears has discovered that liposome — a phospholipid molecule — can help deliver all of the skin fortifying and smoothing nutrients you need.
It absorbs into and doesn’t just sit on top of-your skin… helping make your skin smoother, fuller and more youthful.
Restore is formulated specifically to help you fill out those deeply lined trouble spots in your face . Fill the nose-to-mouth lines (nasolabial fold), lip lines, your forehead and those wrinkly areas around your eyes.
How it works…
Dr Sears puts the all-natural, skin fortifying and smoothing nutrients inside the hollow round liposomal carrying case.
After you apply the liposome cream to the areas on your face that you want to fill in, the liposomes in the skin cream work their way inside your skin. Then they fuse with the skin cell membranes and then release their contents directly inside the cells.
It’s like having a “med spa” at your fingertips! Get the beautifying nutrients it so deserves. Where you need it — inside the skin cells.
Unlike any other skincare formula on the market.
- Gives your skin exceptional antioxidant protection to fight off the free radicals your skin is constantly battling thanks to daily UV exposure
- Strengthens your skin’s protein mix to make your skin’s sub-structure strong
- Speeds skin cell renewal for a fresher, more youthful look
- Evens out skin tone by reducing the melanin accumulation that leads to age spots
Again, it does this all so well because it can deliver strategic skin nutrition right to your dermis — where you need it — without pain, risk or even much effort.
As always, when you spend your hard-earned dollar for a Pure Radiance product, you can be sure you’re getting 100% of the effectiveness — backed by Dr. Sears’ 30 years of research, knowledge and experience.
Try Restore with no risk or regrets.
See the difference that getting skin smoothing and fortifying nutrients deep down into the layers of skin — without needles, downtime or a hefty pricetag — can make.
Making it possible to get fuller, smoother and more youthful skin that you’ve always dreamed about.
Try Restore without any risk, so you can feel the difference in your skin that my patients and customers describe: smoother, fuller, and more vibrant skin that highlights your beauty day after day.
VIP Auto Delivery Program and
Free Shipping Along With Huge Savings!
You’ll save 30% when you order 3 bottles of Restore for only $48.98 per bottle by joining the VIP Auto Delivery Program where you’ll get FREE SHIPPING and the discounted price per bottle for as long as you continue to enjoy Restore.
Here’s how it works: We’ll deliver 3 bottles of Restore every 90-days so you never have to worry about running out or reordering. As a member of the VIP Auto Delivery Program, for each shipment (every 90-days), your credit card will be automatically charged $146.95. You can cancel at least one day before your next shipment to avoid being billed for the next shipment by calling 1-888-795-4005. You can update your shipment schedule based on your personal use at any time.
Like ALL Pure Radiance products, Restore comes with a full money-back guarantee, so if you’re not completely satisfied you can return the product within 90 days for a full 100% refund. That way, you risk nothing.
Save 20%, when you order 3 bottles of Restore for just $55.98 per bottle, plus Shipping + handling.
I’ll get 3 bottles (a 3-month supply) of Restore without the convenience of VIP Auto Delivery for a one-time payment of $167.95.
SAVE 10% when you order 1 bottle of Restore for just $62.95 per bottle by joining the VIP Auto Delivery Program where you’ll get FREE SHIPPING and the discounted price per jar for as long as you continue to enjoy Restore.
You receive all the other benefits as a member of the VIP Auto Delivery Program.
We will deliver 1 bottle every 30-days so you never have to worry about running out or reordering. Your credit card will be charged $62.95. You can cancel at least one day before your next shipment to avoid being billed for the next shipment by calling 1-888-795-4005.
Please send 1 bottle of Restore for just a one-time payment of $69.95 plus Shipping and handling.
There’s a new skincare trend that’s got the Internet buzzing… It’s called a “detoxing face fast” and it basically means you stop putting any products on your skin.
No cleansers, no moisturizer, no makeup — nothing. The only thing you do is wash your face with warm water.
It may sound like a good idea. But I don’t recommend it. Let me explain.
It’s true that most of the skincare products on the market today can cause a lot of damage to your skin. We’ve talked about them before.
But… your skin still needs a layer of protection between it and our toxic environment.
My suggestion is to skip the fast and go on a skincare “diet” instead…
You see, the average woman applies 12 products to her skin. And that’s way too many.
Your skin was designed to self-moisturize with its own sebum, self-exfoliate by shedding skin cells and self-heal.
But what ends up happening is that all of the products that you use end up taking over these built-in functions instead of supporting them. And your skin becomes dependent upon them in what’s known as tachyphylaxis.
Eliminating the overuse of products — especially those with dangerous and damaging ingredients — helps your skin develop a more diverse microbiome. This in turn, will allow your skin to become more reliant and allow it to detox and heal.
Most skincare products simply sit on the surface of your skin. And this damages your skin’s delicate microbiome. This microbiome consists of billions of friendly living microorganisms called the skin flora. They work together like an invisible eco-system to keep your skin healthy, youthful and in perfect balance.
This invisible eco shield also prevents dangerous “bad” bacteria from getting under your skin. But your face still needs protection from the destructive effects of aging.
You see, the sun, pollution, smog, poor nutrition and other toxins in your environment attack your face in the form of “oxidative stress” or “free radicals.” Free radicals damage the skin’s DNA and attack healthy cells. This speeds skin aging.
You need a layer of protection between your delicate microbiome and the outside world.
How to Go on A Skincare “Diet”
I recommend fasting for at least a week since it takes that long to get back in balance. But two weeks to a month is ideal if you can do it…
- Wash with a probiotic cleanser. Cold water won’t remove sweat and grime. Hot water will irritate and dry out your skin. Tepid temperature will loosen any dirt, while maintaining your natural oils.
- Apply a CoQ10 toner. CoQ10 keeps older cells functioning like younger cells. This in turn, helps your face look younger and protects it against future damage.
- Attract more moisture to your skin with hyaluronic acid (HA). HA can hold 1,000 times its own weight in water. Found in every tissue, this gel-like matrix sits just below the surface of your skin. It surrounds the collagen fibers that give your face its shape.When you’re young, levels of HA are high. And all the extra water gives your face that clean, firm shape. But levels drop off with age. And the loss of HA brings the appearance of dry skin and wrinkles, not to mention sagging, drooping skin. HA puts back the water you lose with age.
- Skip the commercial skincare junk. Look for an all-natural antioxidant moisturizer with all-natural ingredients.
To Your Best Health Ever,
Two thousand years ago, wealthy Roman women used to wait for hours outside the Colosseum as virile gladiators fought each other inside the arena — sometimes in a fight for freedom… and sometimes to the death.
Women in ancient Rome collected the sweat and oil of gladiators and applied it to their skin.
After the battle, the surviving gladiators used a special tool to scrape the sweat, dirt and oil from their skin. This was collected in small vials and sold to the waiting women who took it home and used it as a face cream.
Today, we cringe when we think about putting something so dirty on our faces.
But believe it or not, this ancient ritual may have health benefits, including improving your complexion.
In its natural state, your skin is home to millions of microbes. And if you’re like most Americans, you wash sometimes twice a day to remove these bad bugs.
But this modern obsession with hygiene damages your skin. And removes microbes that protect your skin and promote its health and youthfulness.1
You see, these good microbes form a protective barrier against invading, harmful bacteria. And they balance your skin’s pH levels, boost your immune system — and can even protect against skin cancer.2,3
In a moment, I’ll share the simple way you can get your skin’s microbiome back in balance. But first, I want to tell you how we ended up harming our body’s biggest organ and leaving it vulnerable to disease…
Today, we wage war on germs with chemical cleansers.
But it’s not natural. After all, our ancestors walked barefoot through dirt and mud. Bacteria were everywhere — providing a protective skin barrier called ammonia-oxidizing bacteria (AOB).
By feeding on sweat and converting it into nitric oxide, these bacteria act as a natural cleanser that also protects and repairs skin.4
There is a unique kind of AOB called Bifidobacterium longum. But most of us don’t have any of this beneficial bacterium anymore because today’s manufactured soaps and body cleansers wash it away.
But you can bring this probiotic back. Doing so will form a protective skin barrier that will:
|• Fight infections||• Repair DNA damage from the sun|
|• Block environmental damage||• Improve hydration|
|• Boost immunity||• Reduce wrinkle depth|
|• Balance pH levels||• Increase skin elasticity|
Feed Your Skin With Active Probiotics
Homemade yogurt is an incredible source of Bifidobacterium longum. All you need is a freeze-dried yogurt culture (or starter), available at grocery stores. Here’s a delicious easy recipe:
- 1-2 quarts whole, raw milk
- 1 packet freeze-dried yogurt culture
- Heat raw milk to 180° F. Then allow to cool to about 110° F. Add yogurt culture to the milk and stir gently.
- Incubate the mixture at 105° F approximately 8 hours. The easiest way is putting the yogurt in the oven and turning on the light. The heat from the light should elevate the temperature sufficiently.
- Place a tight lid on the container and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1. Prescott SL, et al. “The skin microbiome: Impact of modern environments on skin ecology, barrier integrity, and systemic immune programming.” World Allergy Organ J. 2017;10(1):29.
2. Nakatsuji T, et al. “A commensal strain of Staphylococcus epidermidis protects against skin neoplasia.” Sci Adv. 2018;4(2):eaao4502.
3. Gueniche A, et al. “Lactobacillus paracasei CNCM I-2116 (ST11) inhibits substance P-induced skin inflammation and accelerates skin barrier function recovery in vitro.” Eur J Dermatol. 2010;20(6):731-737.
4. Qin M, et al. “Nitric oxide releasing nanoparticles prevent Propionibacterium acnes induced inflammation by both clearing the organism and inhibiting microbial stimulation of the innate immune response.” J Invest Dermatol. 2015;135(11):2723-2731.
When most people think of iodine, they think about salt — and cutting it out of their diet. Yet iodine is an essential mineral that is vital for the well-being of your thyroid gland. It’s also responsible for your metabolic process and the smooth functioning of your immune system.
A deficiency may lead to low energy, brain fog and insomnia.
But not everyone knows how important iodine is for almost every part of a woman’s body. And when you’re short on iodine, a lot of things can go wrong:1,2,3,4,5,6
- Weight: Low iodine levels slow your metabolism and allow food to be stored as fat, rather than burned as energy. The result is unexpected weight gain.
- Breasts: A lot of iodine is concentrated in breast tissue. When you don’t have enough, you can develop fibrocystic breast disease. Up to 93% of American women have it. This is when your breasts become painful with nodules and cysts. The longer you have this disease, the higher potential for breast cancer.
- Heart: Too little iodine can lead to an abnormally low heart rate, leaving you weak, dizzy and tired.
- Neck: Swelling in the neck due to an enlarged thyroid is a common sign of an iodine deficiency.
- Eyes: Tear glands in your eyes contain large amounts of iodine. Lack of iodine can cause dry eyes.
- Mouth: Salivary glands in the mouth contain large amounts of iodine. Lack of iodine causes dry mouth.
- Ovaries: Iodine is concentrated in the ovaries. Women who lack iodine develop cysts. The greater deficiency, the more cysts. It can also lead to a disease called polycystic ovarian disease.
But healthy iodine levels are also important when it comes to how you look:
- Skin: About 20% of iodine is stored in the skin. It helps in regeneration of the lower layers of your skin by triggering cellular function. If you don’t have enough iodine, you get dry, flaky skin. Increasing your levels will boost skin moisture, reduce the appearance of scars and even slow down the formation of wrinkles.
- Hair: Too little of this essential compound can lead to hair loss, premature graying, thinning and dry hair that breaks easily. You see, your thyroid hormones are responsible for generating the hair follicles. If there’s not enough iodine, there are not enough thyroid hormones, and your hair follicles are not regenerated.
- Smile: An iodine deficiency is directly linked to dental problems. This can lead to dry mouth, which can increase the risk for cavities and gum disease. In addition, too little iodine can lead to mouth breathing, which can cause crooked teeth and even bad breath.
Regular readers of Dr. Sears’ Ageless Beauty Secrets already know that a big reason we have an iodine deficiency is the war on salt. About 50 years ago, our government told everyone to put down the salt shaker. Since then, the rate of iodine deficiency in America has quadrupled.
Add Varied Sources of Iodine to Your Diet
The daily recommendation for iodine is only 150 mcg per day. But even if you get that, it’s not enough.
Now, I don’t recommend table salt. It’s bleached and has residual chemicals from processing. It can also contain MSG and aluminum. I recommend natural food sources. These are the top 5 foods I rely on for iodine:
Supplement for Added Iodine
- Try kelp tablets. If you’re not a seaweed lover, you can take kelp tablets instead. Start with 325 mcg per day and increase it slowly. You can gradually go as high as 3,000 mcg to 6,000 mcg a day.
- Or supplement instead. You can also take iodine supplements. But make sure you’re getting the right kind. The iodide form is what your thyroid uses. I recommend Iodoral tablets. They contain 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Take one or two tablets per day.
- Don’t forget this nutrient. If you do take iodine tablets, make sure you also get enough selenium. Your body needs it to use iodine efficiently. Taking too much iodine without selenium can lead to goiter and other thyroid problems. I recommend at least 200 mcg of selenium every day. Eat two Brazil nuts every day. Each has around 100 mcg of selenium.
Dr. Alison Levitt
Dr. Alison Levitt brings more than 23 years of experience in regenerative medicine to the Sears Institute to give her patients total health and wellness – both inside and out.
She specializes in empowering patients to take back their health by maintaining their optimal health. Her patients get the most advanced regenerative medicine therapies to help reverse their health conditions.
1. Kim B. “Thyroid hormone as a determinant of energy expenditure and the basal metabolic rate.” Thyroid. 2008;18(2):141-144.
2. Kostoglou-Athanassiou I and Ntalles K. “Hypothyroidism — new aspects of an old disease.” Hippokratia. 2010;14(2): 82-87.
3. Messenger AG. “Thyroid hormone and hair growth.” Br J Dermatol. 2000;142(4):633-634.
4. Matthew K. Hypothyroidism in older adults. 2000.
5. Kostenko YY, et al. “Prevalence of main dental diseases in children who live in conditions of biogeochemical fluorine and iodine deficiency.” Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2019;16(4):271-275. 6. Gaugin P. “Iodine and the body.” Iodine Res.
A patient I’ve been treating for depression came in to see me last week. She was feeling amazingly good after taking a supplement I recommended for her.
But she wanted to talk about something else entirely… Turns out the omega-3 that treated her depression also rejuvenated and revived her skin.
Before taking the omega-3, her complexion was flaky, red and itchy. It was also dry and cracking, but she was still prone to breakouts. Fine lines had started to appear around her eyes.
My patient was shocked when I told her that the fatty acids in omega-3 supplements help to slow down the biological effects of aging — both inside and out.
By now you know that omega-3s — especially two of the most potent omega-3 fatty acids known as EPA and DHA – are essential for good health. And that they can prevent brain shrinkage, stave off arthritis, prevent heart disease and improve eye health…
But not everyone knows how vital they are for your body’s largest organ, your skin.
Decades of research from around the world show the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids for your skin. Here are five ways this fatty acid helps your complexion:
- Supports skinʼs UV defenses to protect against sun damage. The lack of healthy omega-3 fatty acids in our diet is one of the primary factors contributing to the rise of skin cancer. A study published in Experimental Dermatology found that supplementing with DHA and EPA reduces your skin’s sensitivity to ultraviolet (UV) rays. In the study, researchers gave participants 4 grams of omega-3 every day. After 12 weeks, they were able to increase their resistance to sunburns by 136%.1
In a second trial, 20 volunteers took either a DHA/EPA capsule or a placebo for four weeks. Compared to the placebo, there was a significant reduction in UVB-induced skin damage in those who took the omega-3.2
Supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids reduced wrinkles around the eyes 10% in just 14 weeks.
- Protects you from skin cancer. A study funded by the American Association for International Cancer Research, found that taking a regular dose of omega-3s reduced sunlight-induced suppression of the immune system, known as immunosuppression. In other words, supplementing with omega-3 increases your body’s ability to fight skin cancer and infection.
And a second study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that adults who consumed one serving of omega-3-rich fish every five days for five years had fewer sun-induced lesions called actinic keratoses (AK). These lesions, which can turn into skin cancer, often develop in older people who have sustained serious sun damage.3
- Fight wrinkles by keeping skin hydrated. As we age, cells in the outer layer of skin known as the epidermis become thinner. This decreases your skin’s barrier function — and allows moisture to escape. Omega-3s help strengthen this barrier by acting like a seal to keep moisture in and dryness away. In some cases, skin hydration increased 39% after supplementing.4 And when skin cell holds onto water, it increases wrinkle prevention and helps eliminate mild wrinkles.5
In a study of post-menopausal women, researchers gave women omega-3s for 14 weeks. By the end of the study, not only was their skin more hydrated, but wrinkle depth around the eyes was reduced by 10% compared to placebo.6
- Eliminate sagging skin by boosting collagen and elastin. Your skin’s whole structural support depends on collagen and elastin. They make your skin smooth and wrinkle-free. Most of us think of saggy skin as a sign of aging. Skin elasticity, the ability of skin to “snap back” when stretched, is seen as a sign of youth. And collagen forms a kind of latticework or scaffolding as the basis of your skin’s structure. When you have healthy collagen, you have taunt, smooth and toned skin.
One way that omega-3 can help preserve collagen and elastin is through its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation can have an effect on tissue growth, with chronic inflammation eventually leading to tissue damage. Continued exposure to inflammation can degrade the collagen and elastin in your skin.
- Clear your skin of blemishes. Omega-3s can help eliminate and prevent acne in three ways. First, EPA is converted in your body to powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial substances, calming the inflammatory response. Second, it balances hormones like testosterone that can trigger the overproduction of sebum. And lastly, it keeps the liver from producing insulin-like growth factor, or IGF-1. Research shows that the more IGF-1 you produce, the more likely you are to have breakouts. 7
Protect and Repair Your Skin From the Inside Out
To get omega-3 fats in your diet, eat three or four servings a week of wild-caught salmon.
Other good sources are small, cold-water fish like herring, pollock, mackerel, lake trout, anchovies and sardines. Pastured eggs and grass-fed beef also are good choices.
But it’s hard to get what you need from food. To get the skin-saving benefits you need, you have to supplement.
Now, most doctors recommend fish oil. But the world’s fish oil supply has become contaminated with toxins. I recommend you get your omega-3s from krill and calamari oil. They’re much more absorbable than fish oils. Both of these creatures store their oils in a phospholipid form that can get into every cell in your skin.
- Take this tiny animal oil. Krill are shrimp-like animals that don’t live long enough to absorb large amounts of toxins. Look for krill oil that comes from the crystal clear, frozen waters of the Austral-Antarctic Circumpolar Ocean — possibly the purest place on earth.
- And combine it with calamari. Calamari, or squid, has one of the highest concentrations of DHA of any food. But make sure your calamari oil comes from squid that live off the coast of South America in the pure waters of the South Pacific (the argentines).
I recommend you get at least one gram of omega-3s every day. But getting three to four grams is even better.
And make sure you get at least 600 mg from DHA and 400 mg from EPA. That way, you protect every organ in your body, including your skin.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1. Pilkington S, et al. “Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: photoprotective macronutrients.” Exp Dermatol. 2011 Jul;20(7):537-543.
2. Orengo I, et al. “Influence of fish oil supplementation on the minimal erythema dose in humans.” Arch Dermatol Res. 1992;284:219-221.
3. Hughes M, et al. “Food intake, dietary patterns, and actinic keratoses of the skin: A longitudinal study.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89(4):1246-1255.
4. De Spirt S, et al. “Intervention with flaxseed and borage oil supplement modulates skin condition in women.” Br J Nutr. 2009;101(3):440-445.
5. Jenkins G, et al. “Wrinkle reduction in post‐menopausal women consuming a novel oral supplement: A double‐blind placebo‐controlled randomized study.” Int J Cosmet Sci. 2014;36(1):22–31.
6. De Spirt S, et al. “Intervention with flaxseed and borage oil supplement modulates skin condition in women.” Br J Nutr. 2009;101(3):440-445.
7. Kim H, et al. “Insulin-like growth factor-1 increases the expression of inflammatory biomarkers and sebum production in cultured sebocytes.” Ann Dermatol. 2017;29(1):20-25.
Bali holds a special place in my heart.
When I was a young boy my father told me tales of this island paradise from his World War II days.
He painted an amazing picture of endless beaches, impenetrable jungles and the warm, generous people who lived there.
The papaya trees in Bali are bigger and taller than any I’ve ever seen
When I finally arrived in Bali many years later it took my breath away.
Everything was lush and brighter… and bigger than I imagined.
Like the papaya trees on the island. Now, living in South Florida, papaya trees are common. But the papaya tree in my friend Lelir’s garden was bigger and wider than any papaya tree I’d ever seen.
Lelir called it by the Balinese name Gedang.
This tree was so big I couldn’t get it into one photo. I had to take out my video camera and climb to the top of a hill to record it because I knew no one would believe me.
Here in the States, most people only know the delicious fruit of these trees. But in Bali the traditional healers called “Balians” use all parts of the papaya tree – including the sap – as powerful medicine.
Lelir told me how once she broke open some leaves and applied the sap to her son’s arm to heal a scorpion bite.
Balinese also use papaya to aid digestion… relieve constipation… treat diarrhea… and prevent malaria.1 Exciting new research even proves that the leaves of the papaya tree contain an anti-cancer extract. Studies prove that papaya leaf extract and the seeds suppress tumor cell growth… and stimulate your body’s natural anti-tumor defenses.2
But Lelir also uses papaya as a beauty treatment.
Modern science backs up Lelir on the anti-aging benefits of papaya. For one thing, papaya is loaded with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant.
The vitamin C in papaya guards your telomeres, the protective caps on the ends of your DNA. The shorter your telomeres, the older your cells act. Those older cells lead to wrinkles, dull skin and all the other annoying signs of aging.
A Japanese study tested vitamin C on telomeres. Raising the level of vitamin C in cells slowed down the shortening of telomeres by up to 62%.3
Another study found that skin cells treated with vitamin C kept their young, firm shape. It slowed the shortening of the cell’s telomeres. The telomeres also suffered less damage in the presence of vitamin C.4
Vitamin C also repairs and rebuilds your skin’s collagen. It promotes skin elasticity and firmness. And it can smooth fine lines and wrinkles, even out skin tone and fade age spots.
Papaya offers much more than vitamin C. It contains “papain.” This enzyme cools inflammation, reduces pain from sunburn and helps heal acne, rosacea and eczema. And it can help lighten skin and reduce the visibility of blemishes, age spots and acne scars.
Papaya also has alpha-hydroxy acids. These gentle acids exfoliate skin and help dissolve dead skin cells. They leave your skin soft, smooth and supple. These are just some of the reasons that papaya is one of the best fruits for an anti-aging facial mask. It cleanses and exfoliates your skin and leaves it firm and glowing.
You can also make your own papaya facial mask at home. Here’s my favorite recipe. I recommend you use it once or twice a week.
Papaya Anti-Aging Face Mask
- 1 organic payaya
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Peel a ripe, firm papaya and remove the seeds. Puree in a blender until smooth.
- Whisk the egg white until frothy.
- Add the egg white to the papaya and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your face and neck. Massage gently into skin. Let dry for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water. Gently pat dry with a soft towel.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1 Bhat, G.P. and Surolia, N. “In vitro antimalarial activity of extracts of three plants used in the traditional medicine of India.” Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001; 65(4): 304-308.
2 Otsuki N, Dang NH, Kumagai E, Kondo A, Iwata S, Morimoto C. “Aqueous extract of Carica papaya leaves exhibits anti-tumor activity and immunomodulatory effects.” J Ethnopharma. 2010;127(3):760-7.
3 Furumoto K. et al. “Age-dependent telomere shortening is slowed down by enrichment of intracellular vitamin C via suppression of oxidative stress.” Life Science 1998; vol. 63, no. 11 pp. 935-48.
4 Yokoo S, et al. “Slow-down of age-dependent telomere shortening is executed in human skin keratinocytes by hormesis-like-effects of trace hydrogen peroxide or by anti-oxidative effects of pro-vitamin C in common concurrently with reduction of intracellular oxidative stress.” J Cell Biochem. 2004;93(3):588-97.
Soft, smooth and dewy-fresh… A baby’s skin is amazingly beautiful. And there is a good reason for this…
Infants are born with extremely high levels of a natural lipid that hydrates and protects their delicate skin by locking in moisture.
I’m talking about an emollient called squalene.
Squalene is found in almost every cell of your body. Especially your skin cells. Sebum — your body’s natural skin lubricant and conditioner — is rich in squalene.
Babies are born with a natural hydrating moisturizer… like my sweet little Isobel.
Unfortunately, you start to lose this built-in moisturizer by the time you hit your 30s.
As it turns out, squalene has tremendous hydrating and moisturizing abilities, too… along with other anti-aging properties. And because it’s already found naturally in and on your skin, squalene is safe and gentle.
We used to harvest squalene from the livers of sharks. Thankfully, we don’t do that anymore.
Fortunately, scientists discovered that squalene can be naturally stabilized. The result is squalane (with an “a”).
Squalane has all of squalene’s benefits… plus, it remains stable for a long time. And new technology has opened up another, renewable source of squalane: olives.
Now the anti-aging benefits of squalene — once out of reach for most women — are available to everyone. And that’s great news, because squalane may be one of your most powerful allies in your fight against the effects of aging.
Squalane doesn’t act like a typical fat. Most fats oxidize easily. That is, they’re easily damaged by free radicals. But squalane resists oxidation. And it goes further.
It acts as a powerful antioxidant on your skin. Studies have shown it’s as powerful as butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), an antioxidant chemical used in many cosmetics.1
Squalane is so effective, the Academy of Anti-Aging Research reports it can even help restore smoothness to skin that’s been damaged by frequent detergent use or sunburn.2
And that’s not all.
Squalane helps strengthen your skin’s ability to hold in moisture by forming a barrier on your skin. It absorbs deeply into your skin to promote flexibility and suppleness.3 French researchers also report it can help reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.4
3 Best Ways to Get Squalene at Home
- Eat more squalene-rich foods. People living in the Mediterranean take in about 200-400 mg per day. But in the U.S., we only get about 30 mg a day. That’s not enough. Olive oil is also a great source of squalene. In fact, for a while, it was thought to be the only vegetable source of this powerful nutrient.
- Try supplementing. Shark liver oil and squalene are both available in supplements. Taking 500 mg per day is safe. But be sure to read labels carefully before you buy. Ingredients are listed on product labels in the order of what it includes the most of, so be sure squalane is one of the first items listed.
- Use it topically. Squalane is being added to anti-aging skincare treatments. But some products contain very little squalane — as little as 1/10th of 1%. I doubt you’ll get much benefit from such tiny amounts. One way to ensure you get the right amount is to make your own serum.
Here’s what I suggest:
Squalene Serum Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. squalene
- 5 drops rose essential oil
- 1 drop evening primrose oil
- Mix together in a glass bowl.
- Moisturize with 5-8 drops every morning and night.
To Your Best Health Ever,
1. Kohno Y, et al. “Kinetic study of quenching reaction of singlet oxygen and scavenging reaction of free radical by squalene in n-butanol.” Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1256(1):52-56.
2. Lam M and Sulindro M. “Aging Skin.” Academy of Anti-Aging Research. 2001;23(1):5.
3. Huang Z.-R, et al. “Biological and pharmacological activities of squalene and related compounds: Potential uses in cosmetic dermatology.” Molecules. 2009;14:540-554.
4. Jame P, et al, “Differentiation of the origin of squalene and squalane using stable isotopes ratio analysis.” SOFW-Jl. 2010;136:1-7.
My family and I spent the Fourth of July weekend hanging out in the backyard — swimming, cooking our favorite grass-fed burgers on the grill and soaking up the sun.
None of us applied a commercial sun-care product the entire time…
My position on sunscreen is no secret. I tell you just how bad these sunscreens are every chance I get.
And recent research proves I was right. In fact, there’s new evidence that shows sunscreens are far more of a danger to your health than anyone ever imagined. Not only are they loaded with toxic chemicals, they’re behind a vitamin D deficiency that’s reached epidemic proportions around the world.
Now don’t get me wrong…
No one wants to get a sunburn. They hurt. And long-term, sunburns can leave you with photo-aging including leathery skin, wrinkles and age spots.
In a moment, I’m going to introduce you to a nutrient that protects your skin from the inside out… But first I want to tell you the dangers of blocking the sun.
The Sun Is Not Your Enemy
Dermatologists and the mainstream media want you to think that the sun is the enemy. But the fact is, the sun enhances your health and is vital to your well-being.
One of the most important ways the sun protects you is through your skin, which makes vitamin D from its ultraviolet type B rays.
Here are some of the sun’s many benefits:
But the Vitamin D Council reports that 70% of people in the U.S. are now deficient in this important vitamin — that’s 228 million men, women and children who have dangerously low levels.1 And according to recent research published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, the overuse of sunscreen — and underexposure to the sun — is partly to blame.
You see, most people don’t spend enough time outdoors. When they do, they slather on sunscreen. And a sunscreen containing SPF 15 or higher reduces vitamin D production by 99%.2
In a recent letter, I explained how 15 to 20 minutes a day of “gentle tanning” provides all the vitamin D you need. But when you’re having fun, you want to stay out all day.
Here’s how to protect your skin from the inside out for all-day protection…
SOD Offers 800 Times More Sun Protection
Superoxide dismutase, or SOD, is your body’s master antioxidant. It works by neutralizing dangerous superoxide radicals in your body called “anions.” Ultraviolet rays from the sun create a lot of these anions.
Most antioxidants can’t touch these anions. But SOD has 3,500 times the antioxidant power of vitamin C. It triggers the conversion of these superoxide radicals into hydrogen peroxide, a less harmful oxygen-based free radical.3 In other words, they become harmless oxygen and water. SOD then remains “on site” to extinguish the fiery rampage of inflammation that follows.
In one study, 15 people who were hypersensitive to the sun took SOD. They all reported a higher tolerance to the sun.
They also had fewer tendencies to redden or have skin irritation from the sun.4
Another study showed that SOD allowed fair-skinned people to get eight times more sun before burning.5 In other words, SOD increased the body’s natural sun protection by 800%.
I recommend supplementing with 500 mg superoxide dismutase formula.
2 More Ways to Boost Your Internal Sun Defense
- Tomatoes are nature’s sunscreen. Red and orange foods like tomatoes contains lycopene. When you eat these foods, lycopene settles into your skin’s outer layer. It acts as a natural sunblock and also repairs cells damaged by sunlight.Lycopene prevents sunspots, dryness and wrinkles from UV radiation. In a Journal of Nutrition study, people who ate tomato paste every day for 10 weeks showed less damage when subjected to UV radiation.6
- Save your skin with salmon. Wild-caught salmon is rich in an antioxidant that provides a natural defense to the sun’s burning rays. It’s called astaxanthin and it’s what gives salmon its bright pink color.In a recent study, researchers tested a group of people to see how long it would take them to develop a sunburn. The subjects took 4 mg a day of astaxanthin. After two weeks, they could tolerate much more time under ultraviolet light before developing sunburn damage.7A typical 6-ounce serving of wild Pacific sockeye salmon gives you 4 mg to 5 mg of astaxanthin. Or you can supplement with 10 mg daily.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1Tovey A. “Are we currently amid a vitamin D pandemic?” Vitamin D Council. November 18, 2016. Accessed May 14, 2018.
2Pfotenhauer KM, et al. “Vitamin D deficiency, its role in health and disease, and current supplement recommendations.” J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2017;(117):301-305.
3Faraci FM and Didion S. “Vascular protection: Superoxide dismutase isoforms in the vessel wall.” Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24(8):1367-1373.
4Laverdet C. “Glisodin Sun Study Pilot.” Attachee de Consultation des Hopitaux de, Paris. July-September 2003.
5Mac-Mary M, et al. “Evaluation of the Effect of Glisodin on the Intensity of Actinic Erythema,” presented at the CARD (Annual Congress of Dermatological Research) meeting in Brest, France, May 28th 2005.
6Stahl W, et al. “Dietary tomato paste protects against ultraviolet light-induced erythema in humans.” J Nutr. 2001;131(5):1449-1451.
7Lorenz, R.T.2002b. “Method for retarding and preventing sunburn by UV light.” U.S. Patent No.6,433,025.
If you’re like a lot of women, you probably thought that once you made it through puberty, you’d be blessed with smooth, clear skin.
Unfortunately, acne is not just a teenage problem anymore…
Over the past 30 years, the number of older patients I’ve seen who are looking for a solution to their adult acne has grown from a trickle to a flood.
And it’s not just my patients. Overall, the number of people suffering from these embarrassing breakouts has increased 214% in women 35 and older.1
Dermatologists offer two treatment options — topical products that kill both good and bad bacteria on the skin or oral medications that carry serious side effects.
The problem is — even if these therapies eliminate your current acne breakout, they don’t get to the real root of the problem. And they won’t stop your next outbreak from happening.
The goal with my patients is to heal the underlying cause of adult acne so you’ll never have another breakout. And that solution starts in the gut.
Feed Your Skin’s Microbiome
I tell my patients that what they put in their mouths is just as important as the products they put on their skin.
Our modern food supply is made up of inflammation-causing foods like refined sugars, cheap vegetable oils and processed carbohydrates — what I call carbage. This toxic concoction can cause your gut microbiome to become way out of balance. This affects all of your organs — including the biggest organ of all, your skin.
Let me explain…
Inside your gut is an extensive intestinal lining that covers more than 4,000 square feet. When it’s working properly, it forms a tight barrier.
But our unnatural Western diet can destroy this tightly sealed gut lining.
An unhealthy gut lining creates large gaps between cells, allowing partially digested food, toxins and bad bacteria to invade your bloodstream. This produces inflammation and changes in the gut flora that can lead to the development of several skin disorders, including eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis and cystic acne.2
One way to protect your skin is by getting your gut back on track with probiotics that provide a protective shield across your gut — essentially “plugging up any holes”3 and preventing acne-causing inflammation.
The research backs it up.
In one study, researchers followed 300 acne patients who were given the probiotics L. acidophilus and L. bulgaricus. After one month of treatment, 80% of patients showed improvement, primarily in painful inflammatory lesions that cause swelling, redness and cysts below the surface of your skin.4
In a second study, researchers compared patients taking a probiotic supplement to those taking a prescription acne medication for 12 weeks. Both groups dramatically reduced acne outbreaks by 67%.5
However, the group taking the probiotics had no side effects. Meanwhile the prescription drug causes hair loss, nausea and diarrhea, dizziness, headaches and difficulty swallowing.
I recommend getting your gut back on track with the right probiotics that help recolonize your gut with healthy bacteria and crowd out the bad bacteria. You get a good supply from fermented foods like fresh sauerkraut, kefir, kvass and kimchi and cultured dairy.
Protect Your Microbiome From the Outside
Your skin has its own microbiome… a balanced ecosystem that has been shown to protect against harmful bacteria, pollution and free radicals, all of which can accelerate aging.6
But every time you wash your face with today’s harsh cleansers and soaps, you remove both good and bad bacteria. And a disruption to the balance of bacteria leaves your skin vulnerable to problems like dryness and inflammation.
In addition to a high-quality probiotic supplement, I suggest cleansing and toning with topical probiotic products.
Stay tuned… I’ll tell you more about this in your next letter.
In the meantime, I recommend balancing your skin’s microbiome with a live-culture yogurt mask. This is a face mask recipe many of my patients like:
- Start with 1 Tbsp. of organic, live-culture yogurt.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of anti-inflammatory turmeric powder.
- Leave on your face for 10-30 minutes, then wash off with warm water and pat your face dry.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1King C, et al. “Spots break out of the teen stereotype: Enquiries into acne treatment triples and 35% of sufferers are over 35.” WhatClinic.com. 2015.
2Bowe W. et al. “Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis: From anecdote to translational medicine.” Benef Microbes. 2014;5(2):185-199.
3Servin AL and Coconnier MH. “Adhesion of probiotic strains to the intestinal mucosa and interaction with pathogens.” Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2003;17:741–754.
4Siver RH. “Lactobacillus for the control of acne.” J Med Soc N J. 1961;59:52–53.
5Jung GW, et al. “Prospective, randomized, open-label trial comparing the safety, efficacy, and tolerability of an acne treatment regimen with and without a probiotic supplement and minocycline in subjects with mild to moderate acne.” J Cutan Med Surg. 2013;17(2):114-122.
6Gueniche A, et al. “Lactobacillus paracasei CNCM I-2116 (ST11) inhibits substance P-induced skin inflammation and accelerates skin barrier function recovery in vitro.” Eur J Dermatol. 2010;20(6):731-737.
Aside from being seasonally festive, pumpkin is a highly nutrient-dense food that is rich in…
Aside from being seasonally festive, pumpkin is a highly nutrient-dense food that is rich in vitamins and minerals but low in calories.
There are many ways pumpkin can be incorporated into desserts, soups, salads, preserves, and even as a substitute for butter. Yummy!
It is one of the best sources of beta-carotene, which is a powerful antioxidant. In fact, it gives orange vegetables and fruits their vibrant color.
The body converts any ingested beta-carotene into vitamin A. We need vitamin A for healthy skin and mucus membranes, which help boost our immune system.
Consuming foods rich in beta-carotene may reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer, offer protection against asthma and heart disease, and delay aging and body degeneration.
5 Fast Facts about Pumpkin
- Potassium contained within pumpkins can have a positive effect on blood pressure.
- The antioxidants in pumpkin could help prevent degenerative damage to the eyes.
- Pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin can be used as a replacement for butter or oil in baking recipes.
- You should avoid canned pumpkin pie mix, as it typically contains added sugars and syrups.
- Uncut pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.
Melissa Murphy is a 42-year-old surgical nurse. In the operating room, she’s the one who holds the human heart during bypass surgery on patients who’ve had heart attacks.
Then one night it was Melissa who was clutching her chest at 2 o’clock in the morning.
At first, she thought the pain was just her body going through caffeine withdrawal since she had given up coffee for Lent. Or maybe it was indigestion.
But Melissa’s medical training kicked in and she woke up her husband.
At this point, she started having pain in the left side of her jaw. Her husband called 911. And it’s a good thing he did… Melissa was having a heart attack.
You might think this heart attack struck out of the blue. But two separate doctors had missed the signs of Melissa’s heart trouble…
Weeks before the attack, Melissa had seen an urgent care doctor for a pain in the left side of her neck. He gave her muscle relaxants. Her primary care doctor also dismissed her symptoms. But these were the first signs of “spontaneous coronary artery dissection.” That’s a serious tearing in the artery walls of the heart related to a heart attack.
Sadly, doctors miss heart attack symptoms in women all the time.
A new study in the journal Circulation shows that more than half of doctors don’t realize a woman’s symptoms are heart-related.1
The study looked at 2,009 women and 976 men who had an acute heart attack. About 22.1% of the men and 29.5% of the women said they visited a doctor for their symptoms before their attack. Only 37% of those men said that their doctors did not think their symptoms were heart-related.
But a whopping 53% of the women were told it wasn’t their heart.
The study also found that both men and women had chest pain before their heart attack. But women often don’t call it “pain.”
They describe it more like pressure, tightness or discomfort.
And chest pain isn’t the only thing women report. The study found that 61.9% of women had three or more additional non-chest symptoms. These additional symptoms often confuse doctors.
In addition, most doctors don’t recognize that women develop a different kind of heart disease…
Avoid the “Broken Heart Syndrome” Your Cardiologist Might Miss
You see, doctors are used to looking for big blockages in the arteries.
But women don’t develop big obstructions. The walls of their arteries are smaller.
Instead, women tend to accumulate plaque more evenly inside the arteries and smaller blood vessels. A blockage that would look harmless in a man could be deadly for a woman. That’s why some women suffer sudden heart attacks, even after their cardiologists tell them their arteries are clear!
Doctors also look for symptoms of angina or low oxygen supply to the heart.
In men, angina often feels like pressure or squeezing in the chest. This feeling may extend to the arms.
But women with angina tend to describe a sharp, burning chest pain. They are also more likely to have pain in the neck, jaw, throat, abdomen, or back.
Mental or emotional stress also is more likely to trigger angina pain in women than in men. In some women under stress the arteries won’t expand properly or they go into spasms. This is often called “broken heart syndrome” and is more common in women than men.2
For decades I’ve been educating women about the signs of a heart attack. But the American Heart Association (AHA) didn’t recognize women’s unique symptoms until very recently. They finally issued a scientific statement on women and heart disease in 2016.3
Here are the signs of heart attack in women:
- Pain, pressure, squeezing, fullness, or discomfort in the center of the chest. The feeling may last more than a few minutes, or go away and come back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the shoulders, upper back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (with or without chest discomfort).
- Breaking out in a cold sweat, dizziness, or lightheadedness.
- Nausea or vomiting.
Those signs may also be accompanied by unusual fatigue, weakness or fainting. You may feel palpitations and abdominal discomfort that mimics indigestion. And sometimes the only warning sign is a general feeling of anxiety, dread, or that something’s wrong.
If you have any of these signs, call 911 and get to a hospital RIGHT AWAY. Studies show women with heart attack symptoms wait about 54 hours to get to a doctor.4 Those hours can mean the difference between life and death.
While you wait for the EMS to arrive, chew and swallow a regular 325 mg aspirin. There’s strong evidence that during a heart attack, a single aspirin could save your life.
Protect Your Heart with These Three Supplements
Recognizing the symptoms of a heart attack is good. But even better is preventing a heart attack from happening in the first place. Here are three heart-saving supplements I recommend to all my patients:
- CoQ10: This high-octane fuel is used by every cell in your body. But it’s especially important to energy-hungry organs like your heart. That’s why when your heart’s supply of CoQ10 drops — as it often does with heart disease and age — a CoQ10 supplement can bring you immediate, lifesaving benefits.Your ancestors got plenty of CoQ10 from their diet. The highest concentrations are found in red meat, like beef, mutton, goat, ostrich and rabbit — particularly organ meats like heart and liver — as well as freshwater fish like trout and fruits like oranges.But it’s hard to get enough naturally. So I recommend taking a CoQ10 supplement. If you have heart disease or high blood pressure, take at least 100 mg a day. The more common form of CoQ10 is ubiquinone. But it’s the ubiquinol form that’s the most potent. Ubiquinol carries an extra electron and is eight times more powerful than ubiquinone.
- Magnesium: It still surprises me that traditional doctors refuse to look at magnesium as a treatment for heart disease. In my clinic, I’ve observed that getting enough magnesium can prevent and reverse heart disease in most people.A study from Harvard backs this up. It found that women with the highest levels of magnesium had a 77% lower risk of sudden cardiac death, compared to women with the lowest levels.5Leafy greens are good sources of magnesium. But modern farming practices have stripped much of the magnesium content in our soil. That’s why I recommend supplements.Take between 600 mg and 1,000 mg a day. There are many different forms on the market. Avoid magnesium oxide or glutamate. Magnesium glycine, citrate, and chloride are better choices.
- Garlic: Numerous studies show that this pungent herb cuts your risk of heart attack — and stroke — by 50%. It does this by reducing the risk factors that can lead to heart failure. For example, garlic…
- inhibits the formation of arteriosclerotic plaque
- slows down calcification of the heart
- lowers blood pressure better than Big Pharma’s drugs
- lowers the risk of blood clots
Even the conservative American Heart Association has concluded that garlic stops artery clogging and lowers blood pressure.
You should eat one to two cloves of garlic per day. When preparing garlic in a meal, crush it and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. This activates enzymes in the garlic that produce the powerful heart benefits.
You can take garlic as a supplement if you don’t want to eat it. Make sure it’s one that has at least 3,600 mcg of allicin (garlic’s active ingredient) per dose.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1.Lichtman J., et al. “Sex Differences in the Presentation and Perception of Symptoms Among Young Patients With Myocardial Infarction: Evidence from the VIRGO Study (Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young AMI Patients).” Circulation. 2018 Feb.
2. Chou AY., et al. “Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection Misdiagnosed as Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: A Case Series.” Can J Cardiol. 2015 Aug.
3. Mehta LS., et al. “Acute Myocardial Infarction in Women: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.” Circulation. January 25, 2016.
4. Kaur R., Lopez V., Thompson DR. “Factors influencing Hong Kong Chinese patients’ decision-making in seeking early treatment for acute myocardial infarction.” Res Nurs Health. 2006.
5. Chiuve S., et al. “Plasma and dietary magnesium and risk of sudden cardiac death in women.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Feb.
Finally, Stem Cells Grow New Hair
A monumental discovery has conquered the single biggest limitation in stem cell science – hair growth.
This breakthrough could not have come at a better time. Women are now experiencing hair loss and thinning at a much younger age than ever before.
In fact, according to the American Hair Loss Association, forty percent of women have visible hair loss by the time they are 40. For many women, hair loss or thinning hair can result in diminishing self-esteem. It can also cause depression and anxiety, among other emotional issues.
Women can detect early warning signs of balding such as split ends, excessive hair shedding, clogged shower drains and loss of volume.
Research shows these early warnings of hair loss start when the cluster of cells responsible for hair growth — collectively called your hair follicle — stops receiving the raw ingredients needed to grow hair. The most important of these is nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+).
NAD+ is found in every cell in your body. It converts nutrients from the food you eat into energy to fuel your body. Including the energy needed to grow hair. You have plenty of NAD+ when you’re young. But as you age, levels drop. The good news is your body can make NAD+ from a vitamin called niacinamide. And niacinamide is readily absorbable through your skin.
This compelling research resonated with a pioneer anti-aging MD in Florida and influenced him to develop an innovative, all-natural approach to promote healthy hair and reverse hair loss.
Get Back to The Roots
The most shocking truth that you won’t hear from any companies in the $88 billion global hair care market, is that you need to care for your follicles — because your hair is dead.
While vitamins for hair growth are nothing new, the tactic of using celebrities and personalities rather than professional doctors is changing the market.
What these influencers aren’t telling you is that you can’t eliminate stress, replace a diet, or simply pop a pill to overcome hair loss.
As it turns out, the real source of healthy hair lies on the scalp in your follicles. This part of the hair is indeed alive and needs plenty of good nutrients, gentleness and care, to grow healthy and strong.
Hair loss is often thought of as a strictly male disease. This is why women’s problems with hair loss are often dismissed by physicians. But women are even more at risk for premature hair loss given the extensive regimens. From hair dyes and highlights, to dry shampoo and extreme heat exposure via styling tools.
Stem Cells Supercharge the Follicle Pipeline
Each hair follicle reaches into the deeper layer of the skin for blood flow and nourishment. But all hair follicles have a tolerance level and with chemical products we are way past that point, resulting in damage and often inflammation of the scalp.
In fact, the hair follicles are so overwhelmed your body is unable to produce adequate amounts of NAD+.
But if you nourish the roots with the right ingredients, you support stem cells by giving them a boost, which is needed to activate and repair.
Dr. Sears’ stem cell formula, Re-Nourish, can deliver that sought-after boost to the roots.
1. Niacinamide is the key ingredient to restoring your falling NAD+ levels. It feeds starving stem cells in hair follicles to help you grow hair again.
2. Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture Extract helps extend the life of hair follicles, which leads to thicker and stronger hair.
3. Fenugreek is an Indian spice shown to stimulate stem cells to nourish hair.
4. Black cumin seed oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory that signals stem cells to boost hair restoration, which brings luster to your hair.
5. Biotin — the essentail B vitamin that helps increase hair elasticity and prevent breakage.
Re-Nourish Nutrition for your Hair is a completely natural blend of essential hair growth nutrients that support beautiful and radiant hair. Our unique ingredients increase blood circulation to treated areas, stimulate hair regrowth and restore shine.
Also let me know any suggestions that you may have.